Auckland Photo Day
Tips and Quotes
- Identify people and places in your local area that might make good subjects, e.g. sports grounds, markets, church services, pool halls.
- After you've made a list of Auckland places that you could photograph, choose three that you think would be the best to photograph.
- Check out photography exhibitions at public and dealer galleries or on the web eg Auckland Photo Blog or www.photoforum-nz.org.
- When you see a photograph you like, try to identify the things that you like about it.
- Look at photographs in family albums. Try to guess which shots are 'staged' and which capture spontaneous moments.
- Borrow photography texts from your library.
- Purchase a disposable camera and experiment.
- If you use a camera that uses film, try borrowing a digital camera from a friend - and vice versa. Afterwards, discuss the advantages of each.
- Clip newspaper and magazine photographs and decide what gives them impact or appeal.
- Sort a group of photographs into piles depending on a) their use of contrast b) how they fill the frame c) show human emotion d) capture an unexpected moment.